Who can join?
We are looking for more volunteers. Volunteers all carry out the same duties, but choose to identify in one of two ways:
STREET CHAPLAINS – We welcome anyone who is a committed Christian who feels a calling to this work.
ANGLICARE SAFE NIGHT OUT REST & RECOVERY VOLUNTEERS – We also welcome those who wish to volunteer with the Rest and Recovery Team but who choose not to be identified as a chaplain, but who are willing to work within a Christian organisation.
Volunteers are expected to
- complete New Volunteer Training,
- complete Senior First Aid
- undergo a Police Check
- obtain a Blue Card.
We will provide you with necessary training, including on-the-job training under senior staff and senior chaplains. The cost of training and the Blue Card application will be covered.
We request that volunteers undertake at least one shift per month. Shifts are 3 hours in length, Friday and Saturday night: 10pm – 1am or 1am – 4am. People interested in volunteering are invited to an individual information session and to undertake two shifts as observers before they undertake a formal induction.
Characteristics of a Volunteer
- Are committed Christians or those who are willing to work in a Christian framework
- Are good listeners
- Have a strong concern for others
- Are bridge-builders, not preachers
- Have initiative and quick discernment
- Have the ability to understand and empathise with a person’s circumstances, with compassion and without judgment.